Friday, May 29, 2009

This is the place...




For Memorial Day, Topie and I spread our wings and visited somewhere we'd never been---"This is the Place Heritage Park." We'd always noticed the little train curling around the mountain, from the vantage point of our favorite hot spot (Hogle Zoo), but it took the announcement of a Baby Animal Days celebration to drag us in that specific direction.


For Topaz, the numerous train rides were absolute bliss. This little engine wound its way around the most endearing pond. The clouds in the background were magnificent. SLC heights are truly stunning.



A coworker of mine, Christine, joined us with her opinionated daughter, Skye, and some random boy whom I've never seen before in my life. Topaz was not interested in making friends until she finished that cup of playdough ice cream...



Finally, the kidletts did warm up to each other a little. I think sitting in a caboose warms the heart of any young one.



For me, warming the heart simply consists of earthen energies. This hogan was utterly powerful in its simplicity. Inside, there was a demonstration on how its inhabitants had recognized/honored the sun. We were allowed entry only from the left and were then expected to move throughout the hut in a clockwise motion. It was believed that to do otherwise would disrespect the sun's similar course. It was amazing. I love cultures inspired by nature!

I was never provided such an in-depth description of this pseudo monument, but was intrigued nonetheless. The lines of the structure drew your eyes to the sky, which was clearly putting on a heavenly show for us that afternoon.



And just as the horizon was luminous and ever-reaching, the grasses stretched and swallowed my daughter. No, seriously, I'd forgotten how teeny she is. After rolling down this particular hill, she resembled a tiny bug.



But I think she's a happy little bug!



Which may be a result of the excessive pony rides she's enjoyed already this year. That kid is going to have to catch herself a wild mustang one of these days. Luckily for her, she doesn't have the type of parent that will turn down an additional pet ;)



Speaking of new additions to our household, this baby bunny was sooooo hard to resist!


Yet, nothing works up an appetite like spending hours in the sun petting chicks, baby goats and calves; not to mention the endless train rides. We stopped in a little cafe, spending several moments stealing fries from each other.



Overall, it was a great place to explore. I'd assumed the location would be boring and without much interest to myself or Christine, but the scenery with the valley below was unforgettable. I can't say enough what a pretty day it was!

3 comments:

  1. wow that looks so fun! it's all coming back to me now that you love animals so much. remember the baby lambs when you came over to help me plant flowers that one day? and taking random pictures of "old stuff" in that barn behind my house? that was fun.
    i love your pictures. you definitely have an eye for beauty. and did i mention before that you should be a writer...you're good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait. did you resist??? do you have a new baby bunny???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I resisted! I will get my futuristic baby bunny when the planets align and I live on a sprawling ranch with horses and an organic vegetable garden!

    ReplyDelete